Wednesday 17 December 2008

Christmas Greetings

Merry Christmas to everyone, and a Happy and Peaceful New Year to all.
It has been along while since i have written anything in this blog, mainly because i forgot how to use it, but i have recently been reminded that it exsists and that it is a great way to keep in touch with friends, i promise to be more vigilant next year.
But now to catch up on several months of news and also info for swaps. Firstly my Christmas letter, i hope it helps fill in some of the gaps.
Christmas 2008 Peace, Love and Joy be with you all this Christmas
O star of wonder, star of night,
Star with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading, still proceeding,
Guide us to thy perfect light
John Hopkins
Dear Friends and family, outside the frost lay’s heavily on the ground, inside a sea of Golden Retrievers lie like a gold carpet at my feet, Sophie is slumbering on the sofa and all seems right with the world. Christmas has come very quickly this year, it only seems a few weeks since the spring flower’s were in bloom., now the city centre is sporting angels and star banners. We hope that your year has been full of good memories.
Ours has been a mixed year. Martin is still at University; he received his HND, in Novembers and continues to study for his degree. He has done really well and I am really proud of him. He has become very involved in Student Union panel work. (Sort of a court for students who have failed There modules, essays etc and are appealing) He received a certificate of merit for all his hard work. He has about another year to go. He still looks after the students, who continue to come from the 4 quarters of the earth. Our Mexican student Rodriguez has become a particular friend. Martin’s dad and step mum have not been well this year, which has been a worry to him. They live about 300 miles away. Angela is now permanently in hospital, while his dad is in and out of hospital. He really cannot look after himself, but will not admit it. Because of this we cancelled our holiday to Greece this year. He has also become a once monthly platelets donor; he has so much of a rare king of anti body that they ring him up to remind him to come. He has also become involved more in cooking, experimenting with Chocolate mousse and crème broluee, no less. Oh at one point he joined a choir, but soon gave it up, like pierce Bronson in Mama Mia, he can’t sing.

The ark continues to flourish, Sophie has returned to living in the sitting room with us, now that she can control Lily with a swipe of her paws. Simba, bless him, and the others are surviving Lily, and are all well. Lily is a real Tasmanian devil, full of energy and mischief waiting to happen. She has eaten a computer, 2 mobile phones, several plants, pots, books, shoes, trellis, pillows etc. She is master of the flying leap and twist in the air. She is an accomplished sneak thief, window climber and escape artist. Yet we all love her dearly. One look at that face and you are captivated. At one point Tumi’s back was covered in huge bite marks and our garden looked like a tornado had hit it. Yet she keeps all the others young, and us either in tears or howls of laughter. I have become a frequent watcher of the Dog whisperer to find out ways to train her.
We have had surprise visits from our friends in Wales. Re worked the garden so it how has a dog free area. Renewed old acquaintances and generally tried to enjoy life and relax more and generally pottered between visits to Derbyshire. We have also become avid listener to audio books. We can work and hear a story at the same time. The realms of dragons, detectives, ancient Rome and medieval Cambridge all come to life, whilst I sew or Martin writes. There is something comforting in listening to another telling you a tale of great deeds or fantastic journeys. We have been known to sit up till 2am listening to the end of a plot. I know we could turn it off, but the tale does grip you...
As for me, I was part of a contempory quilter’s exhibition in March. I have a piece still on display at a local hospital. I still read, knit, crochet, spin etc. Though I have cut down a lot from the things I used to do as my health has not been good, so I now have days off, and do not travel so far. I have found a craft group on the internet, Ralvery and I have participated in swaps, knit along etc and made friends all over the world. I still do the court thing, plus I still silk paint and embroider. Knitting and spinning are my passion, I live surrounded by wool. I am sure it breeds in the night. I spend time with the babes, each dog needs time with me on my own, and woe to me if I forget it. I help Martin, and visit friends when I can. I am currently working on embroidering Ben hur as you do, and an abstract 3 king’s silk painting. I discovered the joys of bead knitting at a workshop this year, and for my Christmas present Martin has enrolled be on a monthly beaded project, I can’t wait. I knit for charity when I can, and I disappear into my garden room, where I am surrounded by books, crafts, my own TV and computer. Martin waves to me from the conservatory, and in the summer we sat watching videos on the veranda which martin built onto my garden room this year. On the whole we are both content and happy together, even though we are surrounded by dog fluff, dirty paw marks and the results of Lily’s latest adventure. That’s about it for now.
Till we either see you or hear from you, Joyous Noel and a happy, peaceful New-year. Our love and hugs to you all. Frances, Martin and Ark.

Poem for the season
The Christmas Silence
Hushed are the pigeons cooing lowOn dusty rafters of the loft;And mild-eyed oxen, breathing soft,Sleep on the fragrant hay below.
Dim shadows in the corner hide;The glimmering lantern's rays are shedWhere one young lamb just lifts his head,Then huddles 'gainst his mother's side.
Strange silence tingles in the air;Through the half-open door a barOf light from one low-hanging starTouches a baby's radiant hair.
No sound: the mother, kneeling, laysHer cheek against the little face.Oh human love! Oh heavenly grace!'Tis yet in silence that she prays!
Ages of silence end to-night;Then to the long-expectant earthGlad angels come to greet His birthIn burst of music, love, and light!

No comments: